We’ve been busy again at Shadowood trying to get all the finishing touches done.
We sealed the grout on the glass block wall in the shower and finally got to try it out. It’s GREAT!
The shower spa is awesome, from the rain head to the jet sprays. They all work just great, and are certainly a wonderful way to end a day of hard work.
We added a towel hanging bar right outside the shower to finish it off.
Next, we painted the railings on the utility porch.
We’ll use this porch for wood storage for the fireplace and we’ll screen it in later…probably in the springtime. Just because it’s a utility porch doesn’t mean it has to be ugly.
Speaking of the fireplace, we added the final trim to the mantel and it really changes the look. We’re really going to enjoy this in the winter, too.
Next, we moved to the sun porch. There’s still lots of work to do out here, but we wanted to get the windows in as soon as possible before bad weather.
We’re using french doors instead of windows, so we painted the exteriors and stained the interiors before installing them. They are made with plastic wrapped around the glass on both sides, so it made the painting a lot easier. Just paint and remove the plastic. Nice clean edges.
We had already prepared the outside and weather-proofed around the frames, so all we had to do was apply caulk, set them in and caulk the exterior on the edges.
There were 8 of them, and John just did them one at a time. He had to hang out on the last two because they are above a long drop to the basement. Sure was nice to get those old sheets off the windows. This is going to be a nice room.
Now, I think the next project has made the biggest change of anything we have done…the flooring in the rest of the house. We took a “stay-cation” and it took us 5 days to do the three rooms.
We started in the bedroom. First we installed a quarter inch thick cork underlayment. We’re using a locking hardwood floating floor because of the radiant floor heat. Regular thick hardwood would warp and buckle because of the heat.
It was hard getting started and making sure we had everything perfectly straight. It was also hard staying on our knees for 5 days, but the finished product was worth it.
The first day, we only got half of the bedroom done. We moved on out into the hall and across to the living room toward the kitchen.
By this time, we were not only tired, but we were seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
We installed a floor outlet in the living room and kept moving what little furniture is here out of the way and back into place. The kitchen was hard, but on day 5, we finished it and put the refrigerator back into it’s space.
We are sooooooo pleased with the look, and it’s great because it’s DONE!!
Of course, we still have to put in baseboards and shoe molding, but that’s a piece of cake compared to the floors. I think we’re almost ready for the last inspection!